Sunday, August 26, 2012

Being Still

Haven't posted in a while, I know...and I'm going to try to get better at it, especially since I now have free time in abundance.  I was recently laid off from work, and I have moved back home for a while...partially out of financial necessity and partially to help around the house.  With Dad doing his med school rotations out of town and Mom's health being a bit precarious at the moment, I've taken on some of the household responsibilities.

In addition to helping around the house, I'm also getting back into going to church on a regular basis, as well as joining a small group (first meeting tonight!).  Putting my focus back on God and His purpose for my life is a huge focus for me right now.  Working in the theatre and entertainment industry really has a way of distorting your priorities, mostly because your job becomes your life, and you have little to no time for anything else.

Part of refocusing includes learning the art of being still before God.  As I said in my last post, I have the tendency to go, go, go and not want to wait for anything or anyone else.  Part of this comes from working in such a fast-paced environment, and part of it is just living in a "give it to me now" society.  These days, you rarely see anyone just being still, not worrying about anything else.  The technology available to us keeps us constantly checking our email, Facebook, and Twitter accounts from the palms of our hands.  Not only does this desensitize us to the people around us, it also puts a buffer between us and our Creator.  When we are constantly throwing Angry Birds or trying to get to the next level of Tetris, or even just texting about that party next weekend, how can we ever expect to hear the plans our Heavenly Father has for us?  Is it even possible to listen over the din of noise in our lives? Well, it definitely is not easy.  And it definitely requires a conscious effort on our part to allow the Spirit of God to speak to our hearts.

"He makes wars cease
    to the ends of the earth.
 He breaks the bow and shatters the spear;
     He burns the shields with fire.
 He says, "Be still and know that I am God;
     I will be exalted among the nations,
     I will be exalted in the earth."
 The Lord Almighty is with us;
     the God of Jacob is our fortress."

~Psalm 46:9-10

No comments:

Post a Comment